General Informations

Role of the inspector:

The main functions of the municipal inspector:

  • Officer responsible for issuing permits and certificates relating to planning regulations;
  • Regional Inspector of municipal watercourses;
  • Officer responsible for implementing the Regulations on the disposal and treatment of wastewater from isolated dwellings (Q-2, R.22);
  • Officer responsible for implementation of the Regulation on the collection of groundwater (Q-2, r. 1.3);
  • Conciliator-appointed arbitrator for the settlement of disagreements referred to Article 36 of the Municipal Powers Act (MCL, art. 35) (line fences, ditches line, overdraft);
  • Person responsible for weed control.

When applying for a permit?

New construction and expansion

Either for a new building or an enlargement of a residential building, commercial or industrial, you must ensure:

  • the use is permitted in the area where the building is located;
  • the land area is sufficient;
  • the location (setbacks) is consistent with the regulations applicable to your property

Interior and exterior renovation

Since 2006 some renovations are no longer subject to obtaining a license or certificate. You should check with the building inspector before starting any work.

Change of use

You want to built a commercial property or change the use of an existing property to start a new business, ensure that the trade or business is permitted and receive a certificate of authorization.

Installation of a pool

Separation distances are required by zoning regulations between your pool, the boundaries of your land and your home.

Whether it is an in ground pool or above ground you will have to include measures to limit access.

Installation of a sign

The location, height, area and the number for commercial or industrial signs shall be governed by zoning regulations.

Any new sign or any amendment to an existing sign requires a certificate of authorization.

Tree Felling

To undertake forest management, a certificate of authorization is required.

Septic systems and wells

When your property is not served by sewer and water systems of the city, you need to build a septic system independent and a well.

To ensure the type of facility required, the Municipality requires a percolation test.

If you want to add a room or change the use of your building, make sure that your septic system has sufficient capacity.

Other arrangements

Several other developments can not be achieved without obtaining a building permit or certificate of authentication:

  • Work on the shore and the coast;
  • embankments and cuttings;
  • the construction of a parking lot.

The list of works subject to a license or certificate is not complete and the required documents vary depending on the project and its scope. In addition, your project may be subject to additional conditions relating to the architecture to ensure its integration into the community. If your project is subject to a regulation on site planning and architectural integration (PIIA) more complete analysis will be required.