Following the latest recommendations of the Government of Quebec, the Municipality of Cleveland would like to inform its citizens that the municipal office is currently closed to the public until further notice.

For administrative reasons and/or permits, please contact the municipal office by email: administration@cleveland.ca and/or by phone at 819-826-3546.

For any public work department emergency, please call 819-826-3546 extension 113.

To pay taxes, please use payment via internet or mail in cheques.

Please be assured that the municipality is making the necessary arrangements for the continuity of service to its citizens.

At the heart of a rural area, Cleveland is definitely one area of diversity, where you will want to live. Located in the center of the Montreal, Sherbrooke, Quebec triangle, the Canton de Cleveland does not fail to charm with its bicycle path, its beautiful valley, its mountainous landscapes, its extensive forest and colors. Its proximity to major centers, it’s reasonable cost of living, personalized services and its citizens make Cleveland a good place to settle. Over 1500 people live in Cleveland and share an area of ​​125.25 km².

In September of each year, people in the region can attend and participate in the agricultural exhibition in Richmond County, one of the oldest exhibitions in Quebec, which takes place in our municipality.

Name of inhabitants: Clevelandais, Clevelandaise
Area: more than 125.25 km²
Population: 1552


The Municipality of the Canton de Cleveland was built in 1855 near the city of Richmond in the Eastern Townships. The arrival of the railway in 1850 increased the number of immigrant population from the British Isles who came to clear the land along the St. Francis River. The Canton de Cleveland was named in honor of the Cleveland family. Mr. George Nelson Cleveland was the first mayor of the municipality.


The arms of the Municipality of the Canton de Cleveland were conducted in 2005 during the 150th of the Municipality. The full name of the municipality is shown in the listels (banners). To highlight the significant presence of the family in the Cleveland area, hence the name of Canton itself, armorial bearings include Helm (helmet) and Pelmets (cape) representative of the Cleveland family. The quartered shield (shield) consists of four screens, the first screen of blue lake and silver, representing the two bodies of water in the territory, the Denison Lake and Lake Spooner Pond. The second screen, green with a barn, represents agriculture. The third screen green with silver trees for the forest and finally, the fourth screen, blue with its representations of the old mine, tourism and the family. The illustration is enriched by two maple leaves and 2 blue lilies representing the country and the origins of the settlers and citizens.